Counselling and Guidance for GBH Accident with Intent

If you have suffered a personal injury, that is either physical or psychological, through grievous bodily harm with intent, then you are legally entitled to financial compensation, regardless of any ongoing or past criminal investigation. However, the assault must have happened in the last three years, to comply with the Limitation Act 1980.

Your rights following GBH with intent

You have the legal right to financial compensation, if you have been injured through an act of violence. However, to be eligible for compensation, there are some criteria that you need to meet. The main criterion is that your assault happened within the last three years, because under the Limitation Act 1980, you only have 3 years to make a personal injury claim. The second criterion is that your assault needs to have been reported to the police, so that you have a crime reference number. The third criterion is that you received medical treatment for your injuries, either at the scene or soon afterwards. For expert and bespokeĀ accident advice for GBH with intent, discuss your case with a lawyer.


Who will pay my financial compensation?

This is a common question regarding cases of grievous bodily harm with intent, since the guilty party may have no means to pay compensation. If this is the case, then you can still make a claim with the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, an executive agency that is operated by the Ministry of Justice. The CICA processes violent crimes, and pays compensation to the victims of those crimes, compensation that can otherwise not be paid by the other side. However, the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority will only pay compensation if you are eligible. See the information above to find out more about this.

How long do GBH claims take to process?

Some claims with the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority may need to wait on a court outcome. However, many claims can be processed in 12 weeks or less.

Where can I get counselling and guidance for GBH with intent?

If it is legal counselling and guidance you require, you can discuss your case with a claims advisor at an accident advice helpline, or with a lawyer. A claims advisor will be able to give you an estimated pay-out for your injuries, and provide information on the steps you need to take to get compensation. A lawyer will be able to inform you about your legal rights, and establish how strong your claim is. If it is medical care you need, then you should contact your local GP, to set up counselling there. Or, you can visit your local hospital. Your solicitor will also be able to coordinate any medical care you need throughout the claims process.